Drought in many parts of Alberta has meant there could be a lack of Christmas trees for the choosing and that could drive up prices.

For those who like to have a real Christmas tree, you'll need a specific permit from the Alberta government to get your very own hand-picked tree.

You can apply for a Personal Use Forest Products Permit to harvest trees on provincial Crown land within Alberta’s Forest areas. 

Obtaining a permit allows you to chop down up to three Christmas trees that are less than 2.5 meters, or approximately 8 feet tall.

You can get a permit online or in person at a forest area office.

To be eligible for a permit, these are the requirements that must be met:

-In good standing with the Crown relating to timber, grazing, and land use.
-A resident of Alberta.
-At least 18 years of age.

The permit is valid for 30 days and is free.

Alberta's Forest Protected areas

A map of the places you can cut down your Christmas tree is provided by the Alberta government. 

You are not allowed to cut down trees in provincial parks (except for designated provincial park areas) or provincial recreation areas and national parks. You are also not allowed to cut down trees outside of forest areas without authorization.

In response to Canada's Online News Act and Meta (Facebook and Instagram) removing access to local news from their platforms, HighRiverOnline and OkotoksOnline encourage you to get your news directly from your trusted source by bookmarking this page and downloading the HighRiverOnline or OkotoksOnline app.