It's getting to be crunch time for the holidays.

High River Fire Chief Len Zebedee says he's hoping it'll be a safe and quiet holiday season.

One way to make sure that's the case is to take care of your Christmas tree.

"One of the big steps is to make sure you're watering it well, keep water in the bowl underneath the tree," he says. "Make sure the lights that you're putting on the tree, that the cords are all in good shape and don't overload plug-ins with numerous lights plugged into it, only have a couple in the plug-in."

He suggests using only approved outdoor cords for outside lights. He if the cord is too light the resistance is higher and that causes the cords to heat up and they could start a fire.

And, Zebedee says, never leave a candle unattended. He suggests using the battery powered tea lights or candles.

While people are making use of fireplaces in the colder weather he reminds everyone to make sure to open a window to get fresh air coming into the home and make sure smoke detectors and CO detectors are also in good working order.

In the meantime Zebedee says investigators are still looking into the cause of last week's fire at the Medicine Tree Manor.

Some items have been sent for analysis to try and nail down the cause.