Volunteers are meeting up at the Bob Snodgrass Rec Plex this morning between 9:00 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. Saturday May 6, for the 19th annual Green Sweep.
It's the annual cleaning up of garbage left over after winter and the melting snow.
The East parking lot is where people will be meeting at the Community Block Trailer where coffee will kickstart the morning and where maps will be handed out.
The clean-up should wrap up by noon and volunteers are asked to return for a free brown bag lunch.
Also, today is the last day tipping fees at the landfill will be waived. The Town offered the complimentary service from Thursday May 4 until today.
*Waiving landfill tipping fees (from Town of High River website)
- From May 4-6, the Town will pay the tipping fees for High River residents taking non-commercial, residential waste to the Foothills Regional Landfill. Must be a current resident of High River.
- The tipping fees will also be waived for Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) in quantities under 20 litres. Residents dropping off more than 20 litres of HHW will be charged the standard fees at the Foothills Regional Landfill.
- Household Hazardous Waste will not be accepted at the Recreation Complex and must be taken to the Foothills Regional Landfill.
You can also drop off items for recycling, courtesy of Alberta Recycling and eCycle Solutions, such as:
- Small appliances: microwaves, clocks, fans, hair dryers, heaters, irons, toasters, shavers, vacuums
- Electronics: televisions, computer monitors, desktop computers, servers, laptops, notebooks, tablets, keyboards, mice, computer speakers, cables desktop printers, scanners, fax machines, photocopiers, and multifunction printers
***These items are also accepted for recycling at the Town’s Recycle Centre***
A complete list of items that can be recycled can be found at highriver.ca/recycling.