A reminder for producers and anyone doing some spring cleaning to take precautions against Hantavirus.
Hantavirus is caused by breathing in contaminated airborne particles from the droppings of infected deer mice.
It can cause a rare, but potentially fatal lung disease, exposure most often occurs when cleaning up old grain bins, sheds, barns, garages, cabins, or vehicles after the winter.
When cleaning make sure to ventilate buildings, and use wet mopping methods instead of sweeping, vacuuming, or using an air hose.
Be sure to wear rubber or plastic gloves, goggles, and a well-fitting N-95 type filter mask, and be sure to dampen any areas contaminated with rodent droppings with bleach disinfectant before removing droppings with a damp mop or cloth.