This is your last weekend to enjoy K-Country for free.

Starting Tuesday June 1st you will need to purchase your daily or yearly Kananaskis Conservation Pass.

But you won't be able to purchase your pass online until then.

According to the Alberta government's website you can purchase them online on Tuesday or at 4 other locations.

If you plan on stopping in K-Country and provincial sites in the Bow Valley Corridor you will need to have a pass, if you're just passing through and not stopping then you don't need the pass.

You also won't receive a physical pass as it's all registered online with the key component of registering your license plate.

The four locations you can purchase them in person at are the Kananaskis Visitor Information Centres at Barrier, Elbow and Peter Lougheed as well as the Canmore Nordic Centre Day Lodge.



Only one pass per personal or commercial passenger vehicle is required. There is no extra cost for trailers or additional passengers.

Personal vehicles

Day pass - $15 (registers one vehicle)

Yearly pass - $90 (registers up to 2 vehicles)


Commercial – 15 people or less

Day pass - $22.50

Yearly pass - $135

Example: shuttles, taxis, small group transport


Commercial – more than 15 people

Day pass - $30

Yearly pass - $180

Example: large group transport, coach buses



Licence plates of vehicles stopped or parked in Kananaskis will be scanned. Visitors can purchase their passes before midnight on the date of their visit, even if their plate has already been scanned.

Owners of non-compliant vehicles may receive a warning or be sent a fine in the mail.

Information on fine amounts, fine payment processes, and timelines will be shared by June 1.



There are a few locations where a Pass is not needed and those are: 

*Ghost area

McLean Creek Public Land Use Zone

McLean Creek Provincial Recreation Area

Fisher Creek Provincial Recreation Area

Canmore townsite or other municipal land within the boundary

*Applicable camping and/or facility user fees still apply.



First Nations people with Status

Some vehicles used for business purposes (facility operators and disposition, permit and contract holders)

Recipients of Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH)

More information on exemptions, eligibility criteria, and application process will be shared before June 1. 


Questions, comments or story ideas? e-mail